Massacred for the ivory of its tusks, the numbers of African elephants are now dwindling massively. In Kenya and Tazania, about 70,000 African elephants were killed each year between 1975 and 1980. Between 1980 and 2000, their numbers fell from 1.4 million to 400,000.
Although the international ivory trade was banned in 1990, jewellery and statuettes made from ivory can still be bought in African and Asian markets. If traders offer you ivory objects illegally, do not buy them. It encourages trafficking and, since the trade in ivory items is illegal, you will not be allowed to take them home.
The Origin of 365 Ways...
I came across this amazing book by Phillippe Bourseiller when i was in Denmark close to a year ago: "For the past 15 years, Phillippe Bourseiller has photographed nature from every angle: from the eruption of the volcano Pinatubo to the great deserts of ice and sand, he has captured the hidden colours and breathtaking lights of our planet. But our contemporary way of life threatens this fragile beauty. To encourage more restraint, Philippe Bourseiller teams 365 photographs with a daily ecological action. Each of the initiatives is accompanied by facts and statistics that illustrate the threats to the environment posed by our behavious, and demonstrate the beneficial consequences of the recommended actions. Each day reveals the image of a wonder of nature along with the guidelines to preserve our planet. Through the pages of 365 Ways to Save the Earth, a truly ethical way of life takes shape." Starting from today, i would like to post each inspiring page according to the days on the yearly calendar (supposed to start from jan, but...i'll catch up!). Hopefully, you'll look at everyday a little differently after this...
- Water - Trace leaks
- Biodiversity - Be unobtrusive while out in the cou...
- Agriculture - Choose a well-bred chicken
- Biodiversity - Refuse to buy any objects made from...
- Water - Do not waste water when travelling to plac...
- Gardening - Prevent Soil erosion
- Transport - Cycle or walk for short trips
- Agriculture - Buy organic food for your baby
- Waste - When you eat out, eat in
- Lifestyle - Lobby your MP about the environment - ...
- Chemicals - Wash your windows with vinegar
- Biodiversity - Leave protected plants and animals ...
- Agriculture - Buy traditional varieties of fruit a...
- Transport - Try an electric bike
- Chemicals - Use biodegradable cleaning products
- Lifestyle - Act now to preserve the environment. M...
- The origin of 365 Ways...
- Agriculture - Buy more Fair Trade products
- ▼ April (18)