In the space of about 30 years the volume of waste generated by household packaging has risen by 5 times, and by as much as 50 times in the case of certain materials such as plastic. During the 1970s, the appearance of containers made of PVC (polyvinyl chloride) allowed the manufacture of 'disposable' items, to be thrown out after a single use. The trend towards the use of such items has intensified, and is now closely connected to the recent fashion among consumers for eating on the move.
At work, when taking your lunch hour, avoid buying take-away meals, which produce large quantities of waste, especially non-recyclable plastic. Take the time to sit down and enjoy your food on the premises.
The Origin of 365 Ways...
I came across this amazing book by Phillippe Bourseiller when i was in Denmark close to a year ago: "For the past 15 years, Phillippe Bourseiller has photographed nature from every angle: from the eruption of the volcano Pinatubo to the great deserts of ice and sand, he has captured the hidden colours and breathtaking lights of our planet. But our contemporary way of life threatens this fragile beauty. To encourage more restraint, Philippe Bourseiller teams 365 photographs with a daily ecological action. Each of the initiatives is accompanied by facts and statistics that illustrate the threats to the environment posed by our behavious, and demonstrate the beneficial consequences of the recommended actions. Each day reveals the image of a wonder of nature along with the guidelines to preserve our planet. Through the pages of 365 Ways to Save the Earth, a truly ethical way of life takes shape." Starting from today, i would like to post each inspiring page according to the days on the yearly calendar (supposed to start from jan, but...i'll catch up!). Hopefully, you'll look at everyday a little differently after this...
- Water - Trace leaks
- Biodiversity - Be unobtrusive while out in the cou...
- Agriculture - Choose a well-bred chicken
- Biodiversity - Refuse to buy any objects made from...
- Water - Do not waste water when travelling to plac...
- Gardening - Prevent Soil erosion
- Transport - Cycle or walk for short trips
- Agriculture - Buy organic food for your baby
- Waste - When you eat out, eat in
- Lifestyle - Lobby your MP about the environment - ...
- Chemicals - Wash your windows with vinegar
- Biodiversity - Leave protected plants and animals ...
- Agriculture - Buy traditional varieties of fruit a...
- Transport - Try an electric bike
- Chemicals - Use biodegradable cleaning products
- Lifestyle - Act now to preserve the environment. M...
- The origin of 365 Ways...
- Agriculture - Buy more Fair Trade products
- ▼ April (18)